Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Roll With The Changes

So, I was all set to do Day 2 of Week 3 of the 5K training plan (that's a lot of numbers). I am FINALLY feeling better and I had an amazing run on Monday. I was actually super excited to do another one and then I went downstairs to the gym and

...all the treadmills were full.

I use my building's gym and it's pretty decent but we only have 4 treadmills and they are a pretty hot commodity for the after work crowd. I went back after 15 minutes to see if someone had left but they were still full. So I gave up and decided to make dinner instead.

I realized this week that evening workouts are better for me. I guess it's the fact that I've fueled and hydrated all day instead of stumbling out of bed and straight to the gym with no food or water. I run faster, I last longer and I feel better when I work out in the evening. But apparently a lot of people feel the same way so I have to be flexible and willing to change my routine.

I LOVE routines and have a hard time deviating from them. It's the OCD part of me. Normally, I would have been annoyed that my workout wasn't going to happen and pouted and decided to give up and eat a cookie. One of my (many) 2011 resolutions is to accept that things won't always go as I plan and to roll with the changes. I have a bad habit of holding myself to an impossibly high standard and then when I inevitably fail I beat myself up and then just give up.

But not this time. Instead, I will get up early tomorrow morning (5:45 alarm, ugh) and go do my run. I may struggle more than I would at the end of the day but the point is to get it done. And eventually it will warm up enough that I can run outside and not have to worry about treadmill availability at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment