Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 1

Well, day 1 of my challenge was supposed to be yesterday. But my bed was warm and my apartment was cold and I didn't want to get up. I intended to hit the gym after work instead but then I had an impromptu invitation to hang out with adorable babies and drink champagne so I did that. No running for me on Monday. But this morning I forced myself to get out of bed and put on my sneakers and head down to the gym.

I forgot to mention that my building has a pretty decent, even swanky, gym that is literally one floor below me. All I have to do is walk out my door and down a flight of stairs and I am there. I have NO room for excuses. And yet I make them all the time. I have been living here for 4 months and I have set foot in the gym exactly one time before today.

Luckily, I stopped myself from chickening out and made it downstairs. I decided to start slow by doing a 30 minute flat jog/walk. It should have been easy but within 5 minutes I wanted to die. I wasn't prepared for out of shape I truly am. All that strength and stamina I had built is completely gone and I am starting over from square one.

But I stuck it out and even though I walked most of the 30 minutes and huffed and puffed the whole time (thus getting the stink eye from the girls next to me), I finished. It's a little victory but I'll take it.

So, tomorrow morning I intend to get back on the treadmill and do another 30 minutes. Tomorrow night I fly back to Connecticut for the holidays and I plan on running while I'm there. I won't have gym access and it's supposed to snow at least half of my visit so I will have to do a daily assessment as to whether I can run outside or not. I have a LOT of work to do to prepare for my 5k so here's hoping the weather cooperates.

No comments:

Post a Comment